Writing from Down Under

Alas, I am not in Australia. I've spent most of today peeking out from down under my blanket. Being sick is the worst way to stifle creativity, but I had to finish an academic paper. That's when habits of organization save the day. Clinging to my outline and my file of research, I muddled forward, slowly.

Writing while sick is generally counter productive. When facing down a deadline, you need to rely on practiced techniques to get the job done. Those may not be your most stunning words, but they can be adequate. Don't count on your ability to self-edit when it's all you can do to write. Get help from another competent writer who can do the overview edit for you. My writer-friend complimented some profound ideas in my paper. Maybe next week when I feel normal I'll re-read it and be amazed. For now, I'm thankful it's done and I can crawl back under the covers.

No comments:

Post a Comment