Par's Not So Excellent Adventure

Special story from a guest blogger. A dozen years later this still tugs at our hearts.

December 15, Friday afternoon, I heard Dad’s car come into the garage. Robin and Kelly are home from school!  I was excited to see them, so excited that I slipped through an opening in Mom’s office door and flew toward them. At least that’s what I wanted to do. Then this gust of wind caught me and I was soaring over the neighbor’s house. 

Mom was running after me, calling my name.  I’m coming back, Mom.   I’m just checking out those birds I hear from the window. There they are, they want me to fly with them. They flew so high and so fast that I could barely keep up. Next thing I knew, I was up a big tree too tired to peep. I heard Mom crying loud. It’s ok, Mom, I’ll be back in a few minutes. But it didn’t work that way. Mom, Dad, Robin and Kelly looked up, but they didn’t see me way high in the oak tree two streets over. They all left crying then it got very dark.

            The birds I thought wanted to hang with me left me. The wind that felt fun to glide on started to slap me in the face. I held on tight to a branch. I got cold and hungry and scared. I’ve never been out at night before. This isn’t any fun.  I hope I can find my way home.

            The next morning I flew around. Other birds went to the ground and bathed in puddles of water. I hate having my feet dirty. When I shower, Mom sprays me with mist then puts me under the blow dryer so I stay warm. I’m hungry and thirsty. The wind is still blowing but maybe I can find home if I keep trying.

            About noon on Saturday, I landed in a 20 foot pine tree, two houses from home. I heard Mom and Kelly outside. I peeped as loud as I could. They heard me!  Mom and Kelly came over to talk me down. Finally I tried to fly to Mom. A wind gust pushed me into a glass window and I dropped to the ground. Mom was climbing behind the bush to get me but I heard other noises and I got scared. I flew up and caught another wind.  Mom, Kelly and Robin followed me across the street to the big tree. I was even higher, maybe 35 feet this time. Another wind got me and I couldn’t turn. I landed in a tree on the next street. Mom, Kelly and Robin called my name. I was so exhausted, I couldn’t answer. They left crying again.

            I waited for more wind and got closer. Night was coming again. Oh, I hate night out in a tree. Then I heard Mom call my name. Yes! She hears me.  She and Kelly ran into the yard and then I heard our next door neighbors come out. I must be close to home. I hear their birds inside their Florida room. This time Mom says I’m not as high, but it’s high to me. The wind is getting stronger and I’m so tired.  Dad brought a ladder and Robin brought my food. Mom climbed up, but she couldn’t reach me. I’m hanging on a tiny branch so hard that my feet ache. Leaves are blowing in my face. Then Jim got his 20-foot ladder. I heard Dad say that this was the last chance to get me before nightfall and a cold front was approaching. They leaned the ladder against the tree and Kelly climbed up. I was so happy to see a familiar face. Kelly talked to me and held out the food. Every time I tried to climb over toward her, the bad wind howled and I was afraid to let go. Dad held the ladder tight. Mom and Robin prayed hard. Finally Kelly reached out and grabbed me tight. She held me to her chest and climbed down the ladder with one hand.  We all ran into the house to safety.        

            When Kelly opened her hands, I saw my Mom. She took me in her warm hands and kissed me and held me until my heart stopped crashing in my chest. Suddenly it was warm inside. I drank water and ate and ate. Star, our parrot, shouted happily when she saw me.  Mostly, I held onto Mom. Before I went to bed in my house, my family prayed to thank God for the miracle of bringing me home. I heard my family talk about God, and now I know Him too. I don’t even know what a sparrow looks like, but I know He watched me.  My Mom’s friend, Phyllis, heard my story and said it was already recorded in the Bible, Deuteronomy 7:19 “You saw with your own eyes the great trials, the miraculous signs and wonders, the mighty hand and outstretched arm, with which the Lord your God brought you out.”

            I’m so happy to be home with Mom, Dad, Kelly and Robin. They are right. I’m not in touch with my inner-birdness and I do much better inside as a princess than outside lost, cold and hungry.  Thank you, God, for watching over me.              Love, Par Erwin

No comments:

Post a Comment