Working like Barbie

While I lack a pink convertible driven by a plastic hair guy, I change roles enough times during the average day to feel like Barbie™.  Such is the life of writers who also have day jobs.

Fortunately as an Assistant Professor in Clinical Mental Health (online) for Regent University, its part of my job to write; course content, student paper evaluations, podcasts for classes, research and other scholarly pursuits. Although different than developing ideas for fiction, the “academic rigor” sharpens the logic, insight and attention to detail in ways that benefit all types of writing.

That leaves blogging and other writing as my hobby which is totally pleasurable. For writers who complain that they can’t afford to leave the 9-5 job for writing, be thankful. Instead of thinking of writing as work, you have the luxury of viewing it as entertainment. When my work is done, then I can write with the same delicious anticipation as awaiting a decadent dessert.

In addition to working as an online university professor, I buy the groceries, do the laundry, pump my own gas, babysit grandchildren, and all the other “Mom” duties.  I still manage to attend choir rehearsal, volunteer for charitable events and drink buckets of Starbucks Latte with friends and colleagues.

Now that I think about it, Barbie and I have a lot in common. She has more careers than I do, but I’m happy with teaching enhanced by creative outlets like writing, sewing and  knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment