Prepare for Book Signing

To prepare for the first book signing event for Taylor Kendall: Evil Inc, I looked around online for any pertinent tips from other writers. Among the standard fare was the best, laugh-until-sliding-out-of-my-chair book signing description by Penny Warner   (look at her blog for March 29, 2008). I wouldn't dream of attempting to paraphrase her extraordinary experience, you have to read it in her words.

With a chic location in downtown St Petersburg where most of my book action takes place and ample social networking as well as old fashioned invitations, I am still not sure of the outcome. R.S.V.P. seems to get minimal attention these days when at the beep of Twitter, folks are off in a different direction to see the next big thing.

Earlier this week, crowds lined up at $150 per ticket for Dale Chihuly's book signing and exhibit opening on Beach Drive in St. Petersburg. Sadly, he was ill and not able to fly to Florida which left attendees holding rather expensive, non-autographed books. By comparison, my event is a bargain at $20 per ticket including the book, a party and I'll actually be there.

I agree with Penny Warner, unless you are J.K. Rowling or Stephen King, don't worry about hiring traffic control officers outside your location. Building your brand as an author takes time. I have a stack of smear-resistant, fine line blue Sharpie pens, practiced my autograph and I'm ready to sign. I plan to enjoy the celebration and everyone who blesses me by spending their evening celebrating with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment