What writers can learn from bumper stickers

Coming out of Starbucks this morning I saw a bumper sticker on a hunk-of-junk car that made me laugh;

This car gets better MPG than Al Gore's Jet

The contrast was as humorous as the idea. That also caused me to reflect on how much can be said in a few words. Twitter's 140 character requirement makes us think before we type (not a bad idea) to get the message across in short space. That's so like what I learned in broadcast news for teaser headlines like;
"Aliens invading local council meeting, film at 11". The idea isn't to tell the whole story, merely to compel the listener to stick around for the next newscast.

College educated writers may be at a disadvantage in what I call the "write tight" mode. That's what my news editor told me in my first radio news job. He cautioned that news writing was conversational not academic and occasionally not grammatically correct. For example, students lose points for ending sentences with a preposition while real people in conversation do that all the time. So I adapted and used my academic knowledge like spice in a food; just enough for gourmets to cheer without confusing the hot dog crowd.
I adapted to a point however I still can't bring myself to end a sentence with as preposition - - - its like chalk screeching on a blackboard.

Keep in mind what you as a writer can learn from bumper stickers. How would you promote your book, blog or article on a bumper sticker to make the reader crazed to know more? Try it. Here's as bumper sticker promo for my new book:

Help us spread Evil. www.taylorkendall.com

No comments:

Post a Comment